- Sources of Inspiration
- The Fine Print
- And Whatnot
Once more, with feeling*: time for another edition of Kendi Everyday’s 30 for 30 challenge. Without further ado, the building blocks for this round:
- Black Jersey Dress: Ann Taylor (2010)
- Printed Floral Dress: Boden (2010)
- Boot-cut Jeans: Kut from the Kloth, via Nordstrom (2010)
- Dark Wash Skinnies: Kut from the Kloth, via Nordstrom (2010) Dark Wash Skinnies: Gap, via Gap.com (2011)
- Navy Ponte Trousers: Banana Republic (2009)
- Black Wintershorts: UO (2010)
- Black Tulip Overlay Skirt: Ann Taylor (2010)
- Grey A-Line Suit Skirt: Calvin Klein, via Filene’s (2010)
- Doubleknit Blazer: Halogen, via Nordstrom (2011)
- Ironic Military Jacket: BCBG Max Azria “Runway” (2007) Dark Green Heathered Cardigan: Vintage TSE, mommed
- Long Grey Cardigan: Ann Taylor (2009) Long Light-Grey Cardigan: H&M (2011)
- Long Magenta Cardigan: Talbots (2011)
- Red Cardigan: Vintage Michael Kors, mommed
- Printed Yellow Cardigan: Talbots (2011) Army Green Dolman-Wrap Cardigan: Forever 21 (2010)
- Slouchy Grey Cardigan: Michael Michael Kors, via Nordstrom (2008)
- Plaid Shirt: Forever 21 (2010)
- Navy and Red Striped Tee: Forever 21 (2010)
- White Striped Tee: Columbia Sportswear, hand-me-down from SIL E.
- White Tank: Banana Republic (2008)
- Black Tank: Banana Republic (2008)
- Purple Tee: Gap (2010)
- Red Tee: Gap (2010)
- Chartreuse Blouson Top: Loft (2011)
- Putty Blouson Top: Loft (2011)
- Brown Riding Boots: Franco Sarto, via Zappos (2010)
- Brown Wedges: Naturalizer, via Amazon.com (2011)
- Brown Oxfords: Seychelles, via Piperlime (2010)
- Brown Metallic Loafers: Naturalizer, via DSW (2008)
- Black Wedges: Stuart Weitzman, via Bloomingdales (2008)
- Red Pumps: BC Footwear, via Zappos (2010)
For those keeping score at home, this is only 29 items. No, I haven’t suffered a recent and shocking lack of an ability to differentiate 29 from 30, I’m just (a) waiting for one last item to come in the mail, and (2) giving myself a teeny bit of weather-related wiggle room. Our weather has alternated from standard winter greys to some epic snow and ice, and in the interests of not falling on my face, I’m preserving the option for duck boots should they prove necessary. You may notice that this list has a lot in common with my last 30 for 30 capsule collection, which is representative of both the overall size of my closet (not large), and my approach to the challenge (mixing well-loved items that I actually wear with new things I’ve acquired and am trying to..encourage myself to wear as much and as soon as possible).
I’ve been looking forward to this round of the 30 for 30: I loved and learned a ton from the last one (read: the recap and the list of items), and I’m looking forward to pushing my remixing skills further still and making the most of a break from shopping and the creative inspiration of a limited closet. Once again, I find myself on the eve of some pretty chaotic stuff (personally and academically), and I’m relishing the idea of a break from the desire to acquire and yet another reminder that style comes from your brain, not your wallet. I’ve also been battling the winter body image blahs, and I’m hoping that challenging myself to create looks I love and feel good in with a palette of items known and unknown will remind me that this is yet another area of my life over which I have control.
Per the aforementioned business, you may not be hearing as much textually from me in the coming weeks, but I’m looking forward to sharing this wardrobe challenge with you. I hope we’ll be able to explore both the tips and techniques of remixing and the politics of our sartorial and fashion-financial choices, and inspire each other to great heights during these closet-limited, shopping-free days!
If you’re a style blogger, are you participating in this round of the 30 for 30? What are you most looking forward to? If you’re a non-blogger playing along at home, I’d love to feature some of your favorite remixed looks, lessons and stories — use the contact form above or e-mail me at narrowlytailored (at) gmail (dot) com!
*I’d be really sad if you didn’t get this reference, and you wouldn’t want to hurt my feelings, would you?
IndexBaby Beltless Belts Blazers Boots Captured Cardigans Closet Forensics Colors Dresses Dress Your Best 2011 EBEW Everybody Everywear Fall Fall 2010 30 for 30 Flats Friend Friday Guest Post Heels Jeans Maternity meta Pants Patterns Photography Postpartum Style Remixing Rule Breaking Monday Scarves Shorts Skirts Special Occasions Spring Summer Thrifting Trends Weekend Wear Winter Winter 2011 30 for 30 Workhorses Working from Home